The Mini Merlin is a dual gas sensor carefully designed and tested to monitor levels of Methane (CH4) / Natural Gas and Carbon Monoxide (CO) in the air. If there is a dangerous build-up of gas or unsafe levels of carbon monoxide at the sensor, this device can shut off the gas supply via a gas safety valve and /or a gas-fired appliance. This device has additional features for resetting systems, as well as audible and visual alarms - It can also be integrated with a Building Management System (BMS).
What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas. Although it has no detectable odour, CO is often mixed with other gases that do have an odour. So, you can inhale carbon monoxide right along with gases that you can smell and not be aware that CO is present.
Carbon Monoxide Levels
This device is equipped with a digital display that shows levels of CO displayed in PPM (parts per million).
Dangerous levels: Generally above 100ppm. This should be treated as an urgent situation.
Medium levels: Generally, between 50ppm to 100ppm. This should be cause for concern and should not be ignored or dismissed.
Low levels: Maximum acceptable indoor level of CO is <9ppm. Anything above this level may cause possible health effects with long-term exposure.
See the specification table for how your device monitors Carbon Monoxide gas.
Possible Sources of (CO)
Inside your home or facility, gas appliances used for heating, water heating and cooking are the most likely sources of CO. Vehicles running in attached garages can also produce dangerous levels of CO.
CO can be produced when burning any fossil fuel, such as gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, and wood. It can be produced in any fuel burning appliance that is malfunctioning, improperly installed or insufficiently ventilated.
Other sources include.
· Automobiles, gas stoves, water heaters, portable fuel burning heaters, fireplaces.
· Blocked chimneys or flues corroded or disconnected vent pipes.
· Vehicles and other combustion engines running in open or confined spaces.
· Burning charcoal or fuel in grills in an enclosed area or near the home.
Methane gas comes from the earth, and it comes from our bodies. Methane is non-toxic and it can be harnessed as an energy source. However, methane is highly explosive, and it can cause death by asphyxiation. It is important to understand how to deal with the hazards associated with methane.
Although methane on its own isn't poisonous, it has the potential to become poisonous when mixed with other substances. That potential exists when natural gas (CH4), which is 97% methane, is burned in houses, offices, and businesses. The burning of natural gas without proper ventilation can produce carbon monoxide, which is difficult to detect.
Symptoms of Methane Gas Exposure
Methane gas is relatively non-toxic and associated with being a simple asphyxiator displacing oxygen in the lungs. However, Methane is extremely combustible.
Exposure to high levels of Methane can cause:
· Loss of consciousness
· Headache and dizziness
· Nausea and vomiting
· Loss of co-ordination
· Increased breathing rate
METHANE GAS LEVELS - %
The LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) of methane is considered to be 5% BV (by volume of air).
So, we call 5% BV (by volume) the same as 100% of the LEL (Lower Explosion Limit).
Your device is equipped with a digital display that shows the level of natural gas in the area referred to as LEL% (a percentage of the LEL) and will alarm based on the following principle of gas detection.
© DMS Ltd 2016 - 2022 | Meters from DMS Ltd Including Heat, Gas, Electricity & Water Meters
Registered Address: 12 Bridgford Road, West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire NG2 6AB - Registered in England & Wales 3978520